Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I can handle the screaming, can you?

Last Friday Tanner had a follow up appointment with the Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor to check his tubes. First they do a hearing test which showed a difference between the right and left ears. He can hear but the right ear showed that the tube must be blocked or something. So once Dr. Parry does his exam he sees that the right tube is basically scabbed over. This can happen when they drain and his right ear drained a lot after the surgery (so much so we got a call from day care about blood coming out his ear one day -another story). The issue can be resolved by dripping peroxide in the ear for a few days until the junk dissolves or he said he could clean it out. I asked what he recommended and he said he would prefer to clean it out. I asked if it was hard to do and he said that it was not hard and I asked something about Tanner getting worked up and he said, "I can handle the screaming if you can...." Um ok, I guess we will try this.

Now, of course Erin and I had decided that he did not need to come to the appointment because they were just going to look in his ears and send us on our way. Not so much. I had to lay back in the strange dentist like chair, hold Tanner with his legs pinned between mine, and keep his arms down and his head turned to the side and still. The nurse came in to help hold him too. This was NOT a pleasant experience at all! I have never heard such screaming and growling come out of my child. He was PISSED! Granted it took longer than expected because the entire tube was clogged so Dr. Parry had to actually remove the tube to clean it, and overall it is better we found this out now but wow - not a fun experience for anyone. Poor Tanner was so worked up by the time it was over he was wiped out. He was hot and red and sweaty and crying and the entire way home he just sat in his car seat spaced out and did not even blink. I of course felt awful and was all upset by the time we got home but I'm glad we got it fixed. Motherhood sure has its moments sometimes!

No comments: