I am now one week into my employment at UMC. Wow what a ride so far. After the initial classroom training last week I had my first 12 hour shift on Friday. I was amazed at how fast the time went! Granted the floor I was on was super busy and short staffed that day but there is so much to do and so much to remember and the day just flys by. I ended up shadowing another tech in the float pool so she did not have as much experience as other techs but she was still great at explaining things to me. Yesterday we had New Employee Orientation which was a lot of talking at us for 8 hours and not a very effective use of our time. Today I was back on the same unit I worked Friday for just 8 hours and shadowed an awesome tech that has been there for 4 years and knows her stuff!
I have been exposed to NG tubes, drains, foley's, specimen collection, finger sticks, vitals, bed baths, etc.. And so far nothing has grossed me out too bad and part of that I think is because this is a job and it's different when you see someone naked or throwing up and they are vulnerable and need your help. For the most part the patients are super nice and grateful and really just want to feel better. My next shadow shift is in the postpartum unit (mom and baby) next week. I am really looking forward to that one as well.
My feet are definitely not used to being worked all day and my legs ache from standing for so long but I have been told by multiple people that they can hear a change in my voice - I sound happier. Did I sound not happy before? I don't know.
Anyway, not once have I thought "what am i getting myself into?" I love the work and even though it's tough at times and physically exhausting, I really feel like this is where I belong. And the best part of the day is when it is done it is done!
Tuesday, December 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment