Tuesday, January 4, 2011

7West

When I was hired as a Patient Care Technician at UMC the agreement was that after my training I would be placed in the Resource Pool to float where needed for my scheduled shifts and once we had passed all of our training/orientation tasks we would be cleared to apply for a "home unit."  I got the all clear to start applying on Christmas Eve and I started submitting internal applications right after Christmas.  One unit that I had worked on a few times was one on my list and the first one to contact me.  I interviewed with them today in two parts - first with the Clinical Leader for the floor and then a peer interview with their Unit Associate and a few nurses.  Both went well with a lot of behavioral based questions which I could give many examples to especially from my time at Eller.  It was kind of wierd to have to interview when I am already employed there but they want to make sure you are a good fit for that particular unit.  Just like departments in organizations or colleges at the University every unit at the hospital has it's own "personality" and you need to find the one you mesh with. 

After my two interviews I left the hospital and headed to a much needed hair appointment.  When I was finished I checked my phone and had a voicemail.  It was UMC Nurse Recruitment wanting me to call back.  When I called her back she offered me the position on 7 West!  That was the fastest I have ever gotten a job in the few times I have applied for jobs.  I am super excited to have a home unit and get to know the people I work with regularly and really understand the workings of the unit.  7 West is also going through some changes with what they specialize in and is being split into two units - gynecology oncology/trauma/urology and post transplant.  I will actually work on both units since they are trying to get a full staff together.  I am so glad this happened quickly as being in the float pool is kind of lonely.  You never really get to know a place in 12 hours and it's hard to form relaltionships with people.  7 West has a lot of young nurses and everyone works really hard and it's a good team environment.  I think it's the right place for me.  I know I didn't even interview with other units but this just feels right just like this whole change has felt right.

Soooo, now I wait until I get cleared from Employee Health to go back to work with my stupid mallet finger and I will start on my home unit. My finger is not getting any better which worries me and Erin but I go to the doctor Thursday to see what the next step is.

No comments: