Thursday, February 3, 2011

3rd Time's A Charm?

My sweet, independent, stubborn, playful, loving son is moving on to day care #3!  He started biting again where he was at and even though it was not consistent nor that often it did increase in frequency and finally some parent complained to the district office.  I totally get it and know that I would probably wonder what was going on if the roles were reversed but I also would realize that kids are kids and it will pass (of course I say that now being the parent of the bad biter).  So, we were told we had till the end of the week to find Tanner a new day care.  Like before, he can come back when he's done biting.  Right.

So, we think we found a place still on the NW side that is nice (they have camera's in every room and you can spy on your kid from the internet).  It's bigger than the current school but I think they are a bit more structured with discipline and Tanner seemed to like it when we visited.  We are going tomorrow for a "play date"/half day try out.  The do a lot of activities with the kids throughout the week - yoga, art, spanish, music, etc.  It is cheaper than what we pay now and actually opens earlier and is more convenient for my work commute.  Let's pray that this one works.

We also visited our pediatrician again just to make sure we were not missing any signs or that something was not in fact wrong since the biting had gone on for quite some time now even though it did get better for a while.  He assured us that Tanner is normal and a great kid and this is just a phase that will eventually pass.  He did admit that Tanner is at the top of his biting patients but it's just something we have to work through.  We all agree that biting has sort of consumed Tanner's life lately and he hears a lot about biting, and we talk to others about it, and that maybe we have to stop talking about it so much.  We cannot ignore when he does bite but we don't need to keep bringing it up.  We also need to make sure whatever school we go to helps enforce our disciplie techniques since he doesn't bite at home and the few times he did we were very clear it was not to be tolerated.  If the school is more lenient in their approach to dealing with it he may see the weakness and realize he can get away with it.  As our doctor said, it's impossible to get into the brain of a two year old! 

I took this recent move from school harder than the last time probably because it was the second time and also because I really loved where he was now.  It felt so right to me and we all just love his teacher.  I am also just sad for Tanner.  He gets it but he doesn't. I don't want him to have this reputation as "the biter" and I just feel like we, as parents, have done something wrong.  I do not know of another kid that has been kicked out of two schools by age 2!  It's really frustrating and upsetting for us and it's been a long and rough week.

1 comment:

Xochi Mama said...

I don't think biting means your are bad parents at all. It's just a phase that Tanner is going through. If it makes you feel better, Jason set fire to his school bus on his first day of Kindergarten and was banned from ever riding it again. He turned out fine...right?