Thursday, December 23, 2010

Days and Nights

So I tried working nights and I'm not such a fan.  It totally jacks up your system!  One night I can handle but any more than that and I am a mess.  I feel bad, can't sleep right, almost passed out at work at 2am one morning, it's not fun.  Supposedly you get used to working nights after a while and your body adjusts but I don't like it.  Also, nights are much slower than days.  Although you still have to wake patients up for things and take their vitals there is a lot less to do.  I like days because there is more activity and stuff to do.  So I will be going back to days, luckily, next week.  They actually need more people for days right now so it works out.  I think it may be a bit harder for Erin and Tanner since the day shift is 7am - 730pm so I won't see T much, but having a tired and crabby mommy is no fun either.

I am still really liking my new job.  Yesterday was my first day all on my own with my own patients and it went pretty well.  People are super helpful when you are new and no question is dumb.  The patients are so great too.  Some I really connect with right away and get to know and others just want to be left alone so I give them their space.  It's really humbling when people are sick and scared and feel bad and they just need your help to even get up to pee.  I have a much greater appreciation for patients and for healthcare workers since I've started this new career. 

The nice thing is that I am off until next Tuesday then I work my three days and then I am off again until January 6th!  Having a changing schedule is wierd but we are getting used to it.  I think Tanner was a bit out of sorts last week but he seems to have adjusted.  We are now looking forward to a nice Christmas celebration with the grandmas this weekend.

No comments: